Monday, April 27, 2009

Manic Monday

It was definitely a manic Monday. As many of you may know, the swine flu is reaching pandemic numbers, primarily in Texas, California, Kansas, and 1 confirmed case here in Ohio. However, as the day wore on, the CDC and the Ohio Department of Health began putting out more alerts that additional suspicious cases have been found in Ohio. We had 2 such cases in our Emergency Department today. The staff was handling everything fine. The doc was getting overly anxious. I moved our portable Hepa filter machine up there to create a negative pressure room, all of our PPE equipment for isolating the patient was brought out. We are prepared. Fortunately for us, both of their tests came back negative. And we are prepared for what tomorrow might bring.
My best advice is don't go out if you are not feeling well. Wear a surgery mask (available from any drug store) to protect other members of your family. Wash your hands often.

Tomorrow is my "surgery" day. I will go to the doctor's office and have the spot on my forehead removed. It is basal cell carcinoma, but the fortunate thing is that not only did he see the basal cells on the slide, but also healthy ones. Hopefully, this means that he won't have to dig too deep, leaving me with a deep scar on my forehead.

1 comment:

  1. That is really kind of scary,I have been nervous about the swine flu, even though I haven't heard of any outbreaks near us. Definitely keeping hands washed often.

    ReplyDelete