Sunday, March 22, 2009

Everything I Know About Life, I Learned From Nursing

........I've learned that nursing is a great metaphor for life. It's both rewarding and frustrating, utterly fascinating at times and dull as tombs at others; it's funny, sad, beautiful, ugly, dramatic, unglamorous........and sometimes it outright stinks.........A little effort can go a long, long way. Investing five or ten minutes in a needy patient at the very beginning of the shift sets the tone for the entire day, and pays dividends in decreased anxiety for them (and less call-light use for you). This principle also works for frustrated and picky spouses.........Age has its advantages. I didn't know how much wisdom and life education I'd missed out on until I began working with the elderly. Through their stories of the past, I've discovered much about who I want to be, and the legacy I want to leave my own children and grandchildren. I only wish I could bottle whatever these people are made of, because our generation and those coming after us could certainly use a dose or two.

.........The longer you're a nurse, the more warped your sense of humor becomes. And a warped sense of humor can get you through almost anything.......even the worst code brown(that's a really smelly and usually quite large BM) in history.

........No matter how crazy your shift has been, there will always come a time when you get to hand over the keys and let someone else take care of the patients, put up with the families, fight with management over staffing, and deal with the paperwork when your one trying patient is found on the floor for the third time today. Remembering this is the only way I can maintain my sanity and still keep coming back, day after day, to do it all over again.

........Teamwork is a great idea in theory, but rarely practiced in everyday life........and that failure to "gel" as a team is not merely a nursing issue, or a female issue. If anything, it's the American way---we're raised from infants to value individual achievement and make the attainment of personal goals our driving force. Group-think isn't natural to us---especially those of us who are Baby Boomers---so I hope we can be forgiven for taking a little while to adjust. ........I finally understand what the expression "thinking outside the box" means. I don't care what the powers that be say---I'm not going to force a 90-year-old
patient to eat his meat and vegetables before he can have his dessert, or put him in a nightgown when he wants to wear pajamas. I'm OK with bending rules, and but I'm simply not going to let anything so petty as facility policy trump my patients' rights to determine: a) what they may eat, drink, wear, sleep in, listen to, watch on TV, or read; b) how late they may stay up; c) whether or not they will take a shower on a given day; d) who may visit them

.......People will generally live up---or down---to your expectations. This includes nursing assistants and MDs.

.......And yes, I've found that the Golden Rule is applicable to every possible situation, whether in nursing or in life: Treat everyone you encounter with the same respect you would want for yourself or your loved ones. Everyone who ever lived is, or was, someone's parent, someone's sibling, someone's child, someone's spouse, someone's friend. What's more, we are all members of the human race---including the three-hundred-pound diabetic who smokes like a chimney and doesn't take her/her insulin and the elderly gentleman who hasn't changed his socks in two weeks. We judge them only because we fear, deep inside, that "they" could just as easily be "us".........but for the grace of God.

....... So many lessons........so many opportunities to grow in compassion and wisdom.

2 comments:

  1. wow, great insight! I can really see how nursing can shape your life and I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete